InspiredBreathing.

In the beginning (or once upon a time) everything was new under the sun. Smitten - and bug-bitten, count me novice blogger. Love to write; love to interact with thoughtful others; especially eager to learn about the spirit of humanity at a crossroads that feels about as dangerous as ever I've seen ...

My Photo
Name:
Location: New River Valley, VA, United States

On the path of an antiracist life. Love the music of Sweet Honey in the Rock (so sad that Bernice Johnson Reagon retired from that precious ensemble - check her out at http://tinyurl.com/nfs3a)

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Encourage Patriotism, Urge Voter Turnout

"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote," said the American writer George Jean Nathan.
http://tinyurl.com/vhksg

-----

Something in me couldn't conceive of *not* voting when I turned 18. Admittedly, at 18, I'm not sure I had any understanding of government policy. Presently, my comprehension possibly makes me dangerous with every election cycle.

What amazes me is that from 1971's 26th Constitutional Ammendment, this nation broadened the right to vote to include 18yr olds. I suppose, because we as a nation send those folks to fight wars when we deem it fit to do so. (Someday, we'll give Puerto Ricans - also serving in our Military - the right to vote in presidential elections.)

Over a very short period of time really, from the '20s to now, we've seen fit to legally grant women (1919,) african americans (1965,) and 18 year olds (1971) all the right to vote. People have struggled, even died to secure that right.

I humbly feel it is my duty as American citizen to find my way to the polls on Election Day. It seems to me, the first duty of anyone who's "PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN."

-----

"Why You Should Vote"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu_989Y557I

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home